Finnair’s Pekka Vauramo to be oneworld Governing Board Chairman04 June 2017
Pekka Vauramo, Chief Executive of Finnair, has been nominated by the Governing Board of the oneworld® global airline alliance to serve as its Chairman for the two years ahead.
He took up the role at oneworld’s mid-year Board meeting, held today in Cancun, where airline industry leaders from around the world are gathering for the IATA annual meeting which opens tomorrow.
He succeeds Ivan Chu, who has moved on from his role as Chief Executive of Cathay Pacific Airways to become Chairman of John Swire & Sons (China) Limited, after leading the alliance for two years. His successor as Cathay Pacific Chief Executive Officer, Rupert Hogg, has also taken his position on the oneworld Governing Board.
As oneworld Governing Board Chairman, Pekka Vauramo (pictured) will chair its Board meetings, oversee alliance governance and work closely with oneworld CEO Rob Gurney and the central alliance team.
Pekka Vauramo said: "I am honoured to be invited to serve as Chairman of the oneworld Governing Board. As oneworld approaches its twentieth anniversary, an even stronger focus will be placed on adding value for our global customer base, which will benefit all of our member airlines. We also want to thank Ivan Chu for his leadership of oneworld during the past two years.”
About Pekka Vauramo
Pekka Vauramo joined Finnair as CEO in 2013 to lead the airline’s transformation from restructuring to renewal and accelerated growth. He previously served with Finnish cargo and load handling company Cargotec and with Sandvik, the Swedish mining and construction company, in various senior management positions.
oneworld is an alliance of some of the world’s leading airlines, committed to providing the highest level of service and convenience to frequent international travellers. They include airberlin, American Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, LATAM Airlines, Malaysia Airlines, Qantas, Qatar Airways, Royal Jordanian, S7 Airlines and SriLankan Airlines, and around 30 affiliates.
As part of oneworld, these airlines:
- Serve more than a thousand airports in 150 plus countries, with 14,000 daily departures.
- Carry some 550 million passengers a year on a combined fleet of 3,500 aircraft.
- Generate US$ 130 billion annual revenues.
oneworld member airlines work together to deliver consistently a superior, seamless travel experience, with special privileges and rewards for frequent flyers, including earning and redeeming miles and points across the entire alliance network. Top tier cardholders (Emerald and Sapphire) enjoy access to more than 650 airport lounges and are offered extra baggage allowances. The most regular travellers (Emerald) can also use fast track security lanes at select airports.
oneworld is the “most highly prized alliance” as current holder of:
- FlightStats’ Airline Alliance On-Time Performance Service Award for 2016, for the fourth year running.
- Global Traveler magazine’s 2016 GT Tested Reader Survey – for the seventh year in a row.
- Business Traveller’s 2016 Best Airline Alliance for the fourth year running.
- Business Traveler North America’s 2016 Best in Business Travel Awards, for the second consecutive year.
- World Travel Awards’ World’s Leading Airline Alliance 2016 for the 14th year running.
- Premier Traveler’s Best of Travel Awards – for the third year running.