oneworld now holds five 'best alliance' titles with latest Skytrax award18 June 2013
oneworld® has been named the World's Best Airline Alliance in the 2013 World Airline Awards presented by the independent Skytrax airline quality ratings agency.
It means oneworld is now the current holder of five of the leading "best airline alliance" titles available in the various industry award schemes, as also:
- Global Traveler magazine's Best Airline Alliance in its GT Tested Reader Survey 2012 Awards for the third year running.
- World Travel Awards' World's Leading Airline Alliance 2012, for the 10th year running.
- Australian Business Traveller's Best Airline Alliance 2012 for the second year running.
- FlightStats Airline Alliance On-Time Performance 2012 winner, in what was believed to have been the first time a punctuality award has been presented to any global airline alliance.
In addition, oneworld holds both awards presented internationally for the quality of wines served in-flight by member airlines - Business Traveller's Cellars in the Sky trophy for the fourth year running and Global Traveler's Wines on the Wing for the second consecutive year.
oneworld member airlines also flew high in the Skytrax 2013 World Airline Awards, which are based on the results of an independent survey of some 18 million travellers from more than 160 countries, in what Skytrax describes as the only truly global, independent passenger survey of airline standards. Covering more than 200 airlines, it analyses customer satisfaction for the overall airline passenger experience across more than 40 areas on the ground and in the air: from check-in to boarding, seat comfort, cabin cleanliness, food, beverages, in-flight entertainment and staff service.
The awards were presented at a ceremony this morning at the Paris Air Show hosted by CNN anchor Richard Quest. oneworld Vice-President Corporate Communications received the best airline alliance award, on behalf of oneworld, from Skytrax Chairman Edward Plaisted.
oneworld Vice-President Corporate Communications Michael Blunt said: "oneworld aims to be the first choice alliance for frequent international travellers, with quality one of our core values, so it is gratifying to be judged best in the biggest independent survey of international air travellers. As we further improve oneworld's network and benefits, we will strive to retain this title again next year and into the future."
oneworld member airlines and recruits also flew high in Skytrax's 2013 World Airline Awards. Malaysia Airlines received official certification of its Skytrax five-star status – one of only seven airlines worldwide with this highest quality ranking, alongside oneworld's Cathay Pacific and member elect Qatar Airways. The latest addition to the alliance also retained its award for Best Airline Signature Dish, recognising its satay service.
Other oneworld member airline winners included:
- Cathay Pacific, for World's Best Cabin Staff and Best Airline Transpacific, with its affiliate Dragonair, which is also a oneworld member, taking the awards for World's Best Regional Airline and Best Regional Airline in Asia.
- Japan Airlines for World's Best Business Class Seat, for its JAL Sky Suite.
- Qantas, for best airline Australia/Pacific.
- LAN, for Best Airline South America
- Finnair, for Best Airline Northern Europe for the fourth year running.
- Member elect Qatar Airways, which is on track to join oneworld later this year, for World's Best Business Class, World's Best Business Class Lounge, and Best Staff Service Middle East.
The Skytrax best alliance award comes as oneworld undergoes the biggest membership expansion programme in its history with:
- The addition of airberlin, Europe's seventh largest airline and the second biggest carrier in the region's biggest economy, Germany, in March last year.
- The integration of former Star member bmi British Midland into British Airways last summer, solidifying oneworld's position as the leading alliance at London, the world's number one business city, followed by the addition of British Airways' transatlantic subsidiary OpenSkies.
- The implementation of Malaysia Airlines, one of this industry's most frequent award winners, on 1 February, further strengthening oneworld's position in South East Asia, one of the fastest growing regions for air travel demand.
- The addition later this year of member elect Qatar Airways, one of the fastest growing and most admired airlines in the world, which will be the first of the Gulf "Big 3" to join any global alliance, making oneworld the leading alliance in the region.
- The introduction next year of SriLankan Airlines, as the first airline from the Indian subcontinent to join any global alliance, which, with Qatar Airways, will make oneworld the leading alliance in the region.
- The switch to oneworld from the Star Alliance next year of TAM, the leading airline in Latin America's leading economy, Brazil, along with its Paraguayan affiliate, and the move into the alliance of the newest member of the LAN group, LAN Colombia, later this year, solidifying oneworld's position as the leading alliance in Latin America.
- The expected merger later this year between American Airlines and US Airways, subject to approvals, bringing the latter into oneworld from Star and making oneworld the leading alliance in the USA, the world's single largest air travel market.
With these members elect, oneworld will:
- Serve almost a thousand airports in nearly 160 countries, with more than 13,300 daily departures.
- Carry more than 480 million passengers a year on a combined fleet of almost 3,500 aircraft.
- Generate US$ 140 billion annual revenues.
oneworld is an alliance of the world's leading airlines, committed to providing the highest level of service and convenience to frequent international travellers. Current member airlines include airberlin, American Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, LAN, Malaysia Airlines, Qantas, Royal Jordanian and S7 Airlines, and around 30 affiliates.
oneworld member airlines work together to deliver consistently a superior, seamless travel experience, with special privileges and rewards for frequent flyers, including earning and redeeming miles and points across the entire alliance network. Top tier cardholders (Emerald and Sapphire) enjoy access to some 550 airport lounges. The most regular travellers (Emerald) can also use fast track security lanes at select airports and extra baggage allowances.