Global Explorer enables you to fly with selected airlines outside the oneworld® alliance, including Aer Lingus, Alaska Airlines and its affiliate Horizon Air, Bangkok Airways, Fiji Airways, Jetstar, Jetstar Asia, Jetstar Japan, Jetstar Pacific, Meridiana and WestJet; plus, Qantas code-share flights operated by Air Tahiti Nui.
More choice and flexibility with Global Explorer
With the ability to choose from additional airline partners, a Global Explorer fare gives you the flexibility to explore even more destinations around the globe.
How is my Global Explorer fare calculated?
Your Global Explorer fare is based on the total distance travelled throughout your journey, plus the cabin class you choose to fly, and is calculated using the following tier levels:
- Tier 1: Up to 26,000 miles (economy class only)
- Tier 2: Up to 29,000 miles (economy class only)
- Tier 3: Up to 34,000 miles (economy, business or first class)
- Tier 4: Up to 39,000 miles (economy class only)
If you are a member of any oneworld member airline's frequent flyer programme, you can earn points on eligible Global Explorer flights1 and enjoy rewards and privileges across the alliance network2.
Plan your trip
Giving you the freedom to select your route, plan your stopovers, choose your travel class and even change your itinerary, Global Explorer offers ultimate flexibility.
The information below on continental regions, routing and stopovers, will help you plan your Global Explorer round-the-world trip.
Global Explorer regions
Your Global Explorer fare is based on the following regions:
- Europe/Middle East including Algeria, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Egypt, Georgia, Libya, Moldova, Morocco, Russia west of the Urals, Sudan, Tunisia and Yemen
- Africa (excluding countries named above)
- Asia including the Indian subcontinent, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia east of the Urals, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan (excluding countries named above)
- Australia, New Zealand and the South West Pacific
- North America including the Caribbean, Central America and Panama
- South America
- Travel from continent to continent must occur in a continuous westward or eastward direction, crossing the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans once only.3
Flights and stopovers
- Select up to 16 flight segments on your round-the-world itinerary. Travel between two airports by surface transportation will count as one flight segment.4
- Each tier includes the following stopover allowances:
- Tier 1 – Minimum two. Maximum five (including a maximum of two within a region).
- Tiers 2, 3 and 4 – Minimum two. Maximum four within a region.
- All tiers – A maximum of two stopovers are permitted in the region of origin.5
- Depending on the tier level you have selected, you may choose to fly in first, business or economy class.6
- For an additional cost, Premium Economy can be booked on American Airlines, British Airways (World Traveller Plus), Cathay Pacific, Japan Airlines (between Asia and North America) and Qantas.7
- You may return to your point of origin after a minimum of 10 days.8
- You have up to 12 months to complete your trip.
- Your reservations and ticketing can be handled by any oneworld member airline.
- Following your first flight between Continental Zones, all subsequent flights can be left open-dated, allowing you to schedule your trip as you go.9
oneworld affiliate airlines
Global explorer also includes flights operated by all of oneworld's affiliate airlines.10
Every Global Explorer trip is unique. However, we have prepared some sample itineraries to give you an idea of the possibilities.
Tier 1: 26,000 miles
Los Angeles – Melbourne – Perth – Kuala Lumpur – Paris – London – Los Angeles
Tier 2: 29,000 miles
Sydney – Johannesburg – London – Dusseldorf – Miami – Dallas – Mexico City – Los Angeles – Sydney
Tier 3: 34,000 miles
London – Berlin – Moscow – Doha – Kuala Lumpur – Sydney – Nadi – Honolulu – Los Angeles – Santiago – Buenos Aires – London
Tier 4: 39,000 miles
Sydney – Auckland – Papeete – Los Angeles – New York – Buenos Aires – Lima – Santiago – Buenos Aires – Madrid – Rome – Olbia – London – Sydney
Book your trip
For ease and convenience, you can book your entire Global Explorer trip with a single oneworld member airline, regardless of how many oneworld flights you take.
A Global Explorer fare enables you to modify your itinerary to accommodate changes of plan, giving you control and flexibility over your round-the-world trip.
For changes or cancellations prior to the start of your journey, please contact the member airline that issued your e-ticket.If you need to make changes to your itinerary during your journey, please contact the airline that has issued your ticket, or any of the airlines you are flying with on your itinerary.
Please note that change fees and/or service fees will apply to cancellations and/or itinerary changes which require rerouting11.
Terms and conditions
- Travel class restrictions may apply and miles/points can only be earned on purchased fares. Please check with your frequent flyer programme for further details. Each oneworld alliance member airline reserves the right to change its frequent flyer programme rules, regulations, travel awards and special offers.
- Access to some airport lounges may be restricted during peak periods and may not be available at certain third-party operated lounges. Access is available on the day of departure when the next onward flight is with a oneworld airline. Access is not available to AAdvantage members travelling exclusively on North American itineraries, defined as within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean.
- You may travel around within a continent provided you do not return to the point where your journey originated.
- If you choose to travel by surface transport between two airports, the most direct flown distance between the origin and destination point of the surface sector will be counted towards your total mileage flown.
- A maximum of one stopover is permitted in each direction in the country of origin. This is included in each tier level's maximum stopover limits.
- Please note that some aircraft may not offer first or business class cabins. You will be booked in the next lower cabin for this sector. Mileage and tier points will be accrued only from eligible fares in the cabin class you have flown.
- Premium Economy is available for a surcharge on American Airlines, British Airways (World Traveller Plus), Cathay Pacific, Japan Airlines (between Asia and North America) and Qantas on flights operating that service.
- There are no minimum stay requirements, with the following exception: itineraries commencing in North America (including the Caribbean, Central America and Panama) and South America, intercontinental sector must commence no earlier than 10 days after commencement of the first intercontinental sector.
- All destinations you wish to travel to must be stated at time of purchase, before departure from country of origin. You must receive your ticket for your first flight between Continental Zones (and any preceding local flights) prior to the departure of your first flight segment. All remaining flights may be left open (i.e. without confirmed flight numbers and dates), as long as each flight is reserved prior to departure. Tickets can be booked or issued up to one hour before departure in some countries. Local service fees may apply.
- Members of oneworld airline frequent flyer programmes can earn mileage rewards on eligible Qantas-coded Jetstar flights. Please contact your frequent flyer programme for more details.
- Fees will apply to itinerary changes and cancellations:
- Changes to ticketed points are permitted at a charge of USD125.00 per transaction.
- If the fare level has increased since ticket issuance, the difference between the old and new fare will also be charged. If the fare level has decreased since ticket issuance, no refund will apply.
- No Show requires rebooking at a charge of USD125.00
- After ticket issuance, refunds on cancellations are permitted for any unused travel but will incur a fee of 10% in Economy Class and 5% in Business/First Class.
- NOTE where no change fee applies, a local service fee may still apply.
- Please note that all information, routings, available destinations and fares are subject to change without notice. Fares are limited to availability and capacity, and fees may apply to itinerary changes and cancellations.
- Global Explorer is available on scheduled flights that are operated and marketed by a oneworld member airline or an affiliate of a oneworld member airline i.e. a oneworld airline flight number must be on the ticket. This includes American Airlines (AA), airberlin (AB, HG), British Airways (BA), Cathay Pacific (CX, KA), Finnair (AY), Iberia (IB), Japan Airlines (JL), LAN (LA, LP, XL, 4C, 4M), Malaysia Airlines (MH), Qantas (QF), Qatar Airways (QR), Royal Jordanian Airlines (RJ), S7 Airlines (S7), SriLankan Airlines (UL), TAM (JJ), plus flights operated by Aer Lingus (EI), Alaska Airlines (AS), Bangkok Airways (PG), Fiji Airways (FJ), Jetstar (JQ), Jetstar Asia (3K), Jetstar Japan (GK), Jetstar Pacific (BL), Meridiana (IG) and Westjet (WS). All other codeshare flights are not permitted with exception of Qantas (QF) code-share services operated by Air Tahiti Nui (TN).
- Tickets must be issued on AA/AB/AY/BA/CX/IB/JJ/JL/KA/LA/LP/MH/QF/QR/RJ/S7/UL/XL/4M stock.
- Currently, itineraries that include Jetstar (JQ) segments can only be ticketed by the following oneworld carriers: AA/AY/BA/CX/JL/LA/MH/QF/QR/RJ/UL.
- Currently, itineraries that include Jetstar Asia (3K) segments can only be ticketed by the following oneworld carriers: AY/BA/JL/MH/QF/QR/UL.
- Currently, itineraries that include Jetstar Japan (GK) segments can only be ticketed by the following oneworld carriers: AA/AY/BA/JL/QF/QR/UL.
- Currently, itineraries that include Jetstar Pacific (BL) segments can only be ticketed by the following oneworld carriers: AY/BA/CX/JL/QF/UL.
- When a QF marketed, NU operated flight is part of an itinerary, IB ticket stock cannot be utilized.
- When a PG operated flight is part of an itinerary, AA/IB/HG/JJ/LA/LP/NU/XL/4M ticket stock cannot be utilized.
- If a ticket includes travel to/from/via Cuba, it may not also include flight segments for travel on American Airlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection, Alaska Airlines or Horizon Air due to U.S. government restrictions.
- Children and infants: Children pay 75%. Infants pay 10%.
- The carriage of passengers, baggage and cargo is subject to the conditions of carriage and regulations of the relevant carrier.
- A Global Explorer fare may be upgraded to a higher-tiered Global Explorer or oneworld Explorer fare, or to a Global Explorer or oneworld Explorer fare in a higher cabin class without penalty. Upgrading by sector to business or first class is not permitted.
- Only one intercontinental departure and one intercontinental arrival permitted in each continent. Exceptions apply.
- Travel may not be via the original point of origin. Only one international departure and one international arrival to/from the country of origin is permitted.
- The same city pairs/sectors cannot be flown more than once in the same direction.
- Travel between U.S. and Canada is not considered an international arrival/departure for the purposes of this fare.
- Continental Zones include: TC1 The Americas | TC2 Europe, Middle East, Africa | TC3 Asia, South West Pacific.
- Global Explorer fares are subject to taxes, passenger fees and charges.
- Further conditions may apply. Please speak to a oneworld member airline if you have any questions.
- Please refer to the rule sheet for the full technical product details: Global Explorer rule sheet
All information is up-to-date as of 1 August 2017. Subject to change without notice.